Monday, June 8, 2015

Butterfly, Butterfly

Hello yoga friends and families! This week at Centered we had lots of fun with butterflies. Here's what we did.

Butterfly Breath: We sat in butterfly pose and lifted our wings on the inhale, lowered our wings on the exhale.

Warm-up: This will be the same each week. We said "Hello!" to our bodies with various movements and then did our Sun Dance. Check last week's post for the video that goes with this song. Then we did a little movement rhyme that goes through the life of a butterfly:

"The Life of a Butterfly" (Tune: Skip to My Lou)
First Verse: Egg (Child's Pose)
I'm an egg, be still with me
I'm an egg, be still with me
I'm an egg, be still with me
Be still with me my friend

Following verses: 
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me (Locust Pose)
In a cocoon, rest with me (Bug Pose)
I'm a butterfly, fly with me (Butterfly Pose)
On s flower, so pretty (Flower Pose)

Book: Butterfly, Butterfly by Petr Horáček
This book is awesome! It invites lots of movement, encourages patience, and provides a sweet surprise at the end. Here are the movements we paired with the story:
worm/cobra 
beetles/bug pose 
caterpillars/locust 
bee/thunderbolt with bee sound

Song: “Butterfly” from Anna and the Cupcakes by Bari Koral Family Rock Band


Book: This week we added the poses butterfly, bumblebee and tree from The Yoga Game by Kathy Beliveau

Cool-down: Like our warm-up, this will follow a similar format each week. We began to cool down by singing “Love Inside My Heart” from Breathe In by Lianne Bassin. Then we read a story that instead of encouraging movement, presents an opportunity to think about another aspect of yoga. This week's story was What Does Peace Feel Like? by Vladimir Radunsky. We ended with a savasana, or rest pose, visualizing our own beautiful butterfly bringing peace to each area of our bodies and then sang so long to the group.

I'm so thrilled to see so many families enjoying our yoga storytime at Centered. Thank you so much for coming! Until the next time, NAMASTE.



No comments:

Post a Comment